The Technology Innovation Challenge will award a total of $1.375 million to bold, scalable, and user-friendly solutions.
For the following solution areas, our goal is to have human-centered design approaches applied to all four proposed solutions that will be procured. The human-centered design process is deeply embedded in the philosophy of the LA County Homeless Initiative. Its focus may range from customer interactions between people experiencing homelessness, service-providers, and case managers, to the design of mobile digital services, and even the design of reporting and geo mapping systems. It is a holistic approach to understanding the desired outcomes for LA County customers.
- Centralized Customer Portal Learn More
- Customer-Driven Mobile Digital Services Learn More
- Geo Mapping Hub & Resources Learn More
- Operational Reporting of Performance Outcomes Learn More
In 2015, the Board of Supervisors launched the Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative, which embarked on an unprecedented collaborative effort between the County of Los Angeles, cities within the county, community organizations, and other stakeholders, to develop a set of comprehensive, interconnected strategies to prevent and combat homelessness in the region. In February of 2016, the Board adopted 47 strategies to prevent and combat homelessness in LA County. In March 2017, the voters of LA County passed the landmark Measure H sales tax (including four additional strategies for a total of 51 strategies), which provides an infusion of funds dedicated to services and programs to prevent and combat homelessness.
This is a dynamic and inclusive Countywide movement that benefits from a broad spectrum of partners. As part of our efforts, the Homeless Innovation Technology Initiative was created to forge strategic investment in technology to create impactful outcomes to serve people experiencing homelessness. In 2018, the response to a Request for Information (RFI) was strong – with more than 50 responses from a diverse representation of technology companies. In 2019, the review of the RFI responses and input from Homeless Initiative leadership across LA County, service-providers, and departments, confirmed the solution areas and approach to support the Technology Innovation Challenge.
An estimated 58,900 individuals are experiencing homelessness within Los Angeles County.
January 2019 Los Angeles Homeless Count
The Technology Innovation Challenge advances this effort to create partnerships with the technology sector to encourage innovation, creativity and sustainable solutions that will have the most impact on the homeless services delivery system.
- Enable and accelerate the Countywide movement to combat and prevent homelessness.
- Identify business and/or customer needs first, look for a technology and/or data solution second.
- Think boldly and reimagine service delivery.
- Keep an open mind to the possibilities.
- Envision the outcome or future-state the County of Los Angeles needs to achieve through this process from the beginning.
EVALUATION & AWARD
Each valid application will receive scores and comments from at least five Evaluation Panel experts specializing in their respective solution areas using four scoring criteria (all scores are normalized). The County of LA will review the top-scoring submissions to select up to 12 Finalists based on considerations that may include, but are not limited to, Evaluation Panel resulting rank order, capacity, and feasibility.
Finalists will be selected in May 2020 and will present their solutions to the Selection Committee at a live pitch event in Los Angeles in June 2020. The Selection Committee is comprised of key leaders and subject matter experts, and will determine the winners of the Technology Innovation Challenge.
Winning solutions will:
- Deliver a robust plan that authentically connects to users and beneficiaries while reinforcing the countywide movement to end homelessness and produce transformative results;
- Share a bold, powerful vision to produce transformative impact and long-lasting improvements to efficiently deliver more effective services to those experiencing homelessness in LA County;
- Demonstrate extraordinary vision to meet growing needs and amplify impact, as well as a well-defined strategy for large-scale growth; and
- Activate seasoned experts and leaders who are well-positioned to exceed expectations with a compelling solution designed to overcome risk.
Are you ready to be part of the solution?
You can make a difference in the fight against homelessness. Join us in building a more innovative and responsive homeless services delivery system in LA County.